Martin Luther King Jr. is one of the most pivotal figures in the history of the Civil Right Movement. With MLK Day approaching, you may be looking for a craft or activity to do with your preschooler. This free, printable craft allows your preschooler to create their own Martin Luther King Jr. figure to use as a puppet or during their creative play time!
My Pre-K Box: The Best Educational Subscription Box for Preschoolers
My Pre-K Box is an educational subscription box for preschoolers aged 3-5! We deliver the most fun play-based preschool learning available! Each box has its own unique theme and is filled with different learning activities to target math and literacy skills. Your kids will have fun exploring the new activities, and you will delight in the fact you are helping them with essential Kindergarten readiness skills!
Help Your Preschoolers Understand the Themes of Kindness and Gratitude with these Print & Go Activities!
- download of Print & Go MLK Craft
- crayons or coloring utensils
- glue stick
Directions for FREE Martin Luther King Jr. Craft for Preschoolers
Step 1 Download and print a copy of the Print & Go Martin Luther King Craft. There are two different versions you can print out- the blank one that your preschooler can color (or you can print on colored cardstock!) and there is pre-colored version to print with color ink!
Step 2 Your preschooler will color in each of the different pieces of Martin Luther King Jr. If you are using the pre-colored version, skip this step. (Altneratively you can print the pieces on colored cardstock!)
Step 3 Cut out each piece of the MLK character and arrange them according to the small image at the bottom of the page.
Step 4 Glue the pieces of Martin Luther King together. You can also add a popsicle stick to the back of the character to turn him into a puppet to use during creative play time!
Extensions to Learning About MLK
Here are 3 fun ways to enhance your preschooler’s learning about Martin Luther King Jr.
- Listen to Martin’s Big Words. You can listen on this YouTube video or find the book online or in a local library to read it yourselves. Ask your child what they feel like Martin’s big words were and why he was such an important person to our history?
- Watch this video with Kid President who breaks down what Martin Luther King Jr did for our country. Ask your child what sorts of things King did that made a difference? What can they do to make a difference?
- This Brainpop Video is more advanced, but great if your preschooler has more questions about MLK. It dives in deeper to what was happening during the Civil Rights Era and why he became the leader he was.
Haven't yet tried My Pre-K Box?
My Pre-K Box is the best monthly subscription box for kids ages 3-5.
Everything you need to create, play, laugh, and learn!